12.10.12

The Desert Boot


Illustration by: Brittany Fields

Clark originally brought the idea of the desert boot to young American men in the 1940's. Gaining inspiration from South African soldiers in the two wars he served, Nathan Clark's love for the design got initially turned down by his family's shoe company. Working independently he discovered the boot's unique characteristics and functionality. By 1949, Nathan's side project became an instant success among men of the 50's. The desert boot was cheap, care free, and had a sort of european flavor to it that made it desirable among young men in Chicago. Nathan even added 'of England' to the shoe's slogan in the print advertisements.

From Clark's to Nike, the desert boot has made it on men's fashion essentials list all around the world. The boot has kept it's original function but footwear manufacturers are continually adding their own twists each season. Some have recycled rubber soles with suede uppers while others have a gum sole and smooth leather finish. The eyelets may go from 3 hole - 4 hole, the laces may be leather or cotton waxed. No matter what the change, credit goes to the American soldier than was 'shoe shopping' while at war, Nathan Clark.
Here are some standout designs that I absolutely agree Nathan would enjoy



My inspiration: http://www.gq.com/style/blogs/the-gq-eye/2012/08/dropping-knowledge-the-desert-boot.html




1 comment:

  1. what color or where can i find that orange/red desert boot in the top right picture?

    ReplyDelete

Inspiration

I've always had a reason to keep my shoes clean and healthy. Not having many as a kid, I had to quickly learn how to keep them in good shape. My obsession with maintaining my shoes has carried through my life. This is my way of sharing my favorite parts of shoes and my ways of taking care of them